Red Top Mountain State Park
Located on a peninsula on Lake Allatoona, Red Top Mountain State Park offers various outdoor activities, including hiking/biking trails, fishing, a beach, camp sites, tennis courts, miniature golf, picnic facilities, skiing and boat ramps/docks. A $5 per day parking fee is required.
Red Top has about 15 miles of hiking and nature trails, including a 3/4-mile paved handicapped accessible trail. Mountain biking is allowed on the 4-mile Iron Hill Trail.
While individual picnic tables are free on a first-come, first-served basis, group shelters can be reserved for $45 but may be used if available on a first-come, first-served basis at no charge.
In addition to a beach, which along with the miniature golf course is seasonal, and marina, at which boats are rented, Red Top has a playground for children and educational programs, including the Discovery Center in the park office.
Cottages are available for rent and visitors can camp in a 92-camp site campground, a yurt or pioneer campground. Reservations are required and each of the main campground sites have water, electricity, a picnic table, and a fire ring or grille. There are spaces for RVs, trailers and tents.
The Lodge and restaurant at Red Top are no longer open, closing in 2010 due to state budget cuts. The facility now houses the park office and Discovery Center.
More information is available at the Visitor's Center on Red Top Mountain Road.
- Hours: Office: Mon - Sun, 8am - 5pm. Park: 7am - 10pm
- Handicap Accessible: Parking, ramp
- Founding Date: 1950
- Parking: Free lot
- Public/Private: Public
- Type: Lake
- Common activities: Camping, Cycling, Fishing, Jet skiing, Motor boating, Picnicking, Water skiing
- Facilities: Boat access, Food/drink, Restrooms, Showers
- Cars allowed: Yes
- Part of a chain: No
- Number of campsites: 92
- Facilities (campgrounds): RV hookups, Restrooms, Showers, Swimming, Trails
- Are there any interesting facts about this location?: Once an important area for mining, Red Top Mountain was named for the red tint to the soil caused by a high iron-ore content.
- Features: Beach, Benches, Boat dock, Camping, Concert stage, Grills, Picnic pavilions, Picnic tables, Playgrounds
- Services: Gift shop, Ranger, Restrooms, Showers
- Wi-Fi: None
- Area: 1776 acres
- Features: Jungle gym, Slides, Swings
- Facilities (playgrounds): Benches, Tables