Its time to start looking for the right summer camp for your child and the process can be overwhelming.
To help you get started, Cartersville Patch can help you locate a great camp or announce your own camp in the area. Browse our Events Calendar and Announcements sections for camp information. Know of a camp that needs to be listed on Patch? You can upload it here for free.
Meanwhile, the Better Business Bureau offers the following tips for parents searching for camps:
1. Always visit the camp before submitting a deposit. Check its location and view the living, eating and recreational facilities. Ask about safey procedures (particularly for water activities, archery and out-of-camp trips), and assess the quality and commitment of the staff.
2. Ask about fees and payment deadlines. Is your deposit refundable? Are there extra charges for any activities? Are meals and transportation offered?
3. What is the camper return rate? The counselor return rate?
4. What is the camp director’s background? How is the staff trained? Are criminal checks made for employees and volunteers? What is the ratio of campers to staff members?
5. Are medical facilities adequate? Is a nurse or doctor on site? What are the procedures for transporting injured or sick children to medical facilities? Are those facilities nearby?
6. What are the safety rules and how are they enforced? Does the camp have appropriate insurance coverage?
7. Are family visits or other communications with campers allowed? How is homesickness handled?
8. Are references from parents of repeat campers available? Ask the parents about their child’s experience and why they recommend the camp.
9. Finally, look for camps that are certified by the American Camp Association. ACA accredited camps have met up to 300 nationally recognized standards. You may visit their website at www.acacamps.org.