With Memorial Day weekend and the summer season upon us in Cartersville, safety is a concern as grill fires number about 8,000 in the United States each year.
Just in time, the folks at Amica Insurance have shared the following grilling safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
- Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outside, and they should be placed away from your house, deck railings, eaves and branches.
- Make sure children and pets are kept away from the grill at all times, and never leave the grill unattended.
- Remove grease and fat from the grill itself and from trays below the grill.
- If using a propane grill, check for gas leaks by applying soapy water to the hose. If there is a leak, bubbles will appear. Turn off the tank and grill immediately.
- If using a charcoal grill, only use charcoal starter fluid. Keep all other flammable liquids away from the grill.
Tell us what you think in the comments, share your photos and videos, and don’t miss any of the local news you care about—subscribe to Cartersville Patch's newsletter, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.