What to Expect on the Primary Ballot
Prepare to cast your vote Tuesday in the Republican or Democratic primary elections. The polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Three local races—commissioner, sheriff and clerk of court—could be decided at the polls Tuesday during Georgia's primary election.
Here are the highlights of what Bartow County voters should expect on the ballot:
Local Republican Races
"Shall the governing authority of Bartow County, Georgia be authorized to permit and regulate package sales by retailers of both malt beverages and wine on Sundays between the hours of 12:30 P.M. and 11:30 P.M.?"
- Greg Bowen
- Anna Sullivan
Republican Party Question
"Whereas Bartow County has now surpassed 100,000 in total population, and
whereas Bartow County is the largest county in the nation still operating under
the sole-commissioner form of government, do you support efforts to change the county government to a multi-member commission form of government?"
For your own sample ballot, visit the Georgia Secretary of State website.
Other questions on the Republican ballot include:
- Should Georgia have casino gambling with funds going to education?
- Do you support ending the current practice of unlimited gifts from lobbyists to state legislators by imposing a $100 cap on such gifts?
- Should active duty military personnel who are under the age of 21 be allowed to obtain a Georgia weapons license?
- Should citizens who wish to vote in a primary election be required to register by their political party affiliation at least thirty (30) days prior to such primary election?
- Should the Constitution of Georgia be amended so as to provide that the paramount right to life is vested in each innocent human being from his or her earliest biological beginning without regard to age, race, sex, health, function, or condition of dependency
The party questions for the Democrats include:
- Should the Georgia Constitution be amended to allow the state to override locally elected school boards' decisions when it comes to the creation of charter schools in your county or city?
- Do you support ending current practice permitting unlimited gifts from lobbyists to state legislators?
- Should Georgia adopt an income tax credit for home energy costs to support the economic security of our families?
- Should Georgia reduce sales taxes on made in Georgia products so as to support the growth of small businesses in our state?
- Did you know there is a mandated Saturday Voting Day including in the Early Voting for the November General Election on Oct. 27, 2012?
For more, visit Elections: Participate in 2012.