Updated, Jan. 12
The Bartow County Board of Elections approved March 19 as the date of the special election to fill the unexpired term of Angie Cornett, The Daily Tribune News reports. Qualifying for the Post 3 seat is set for Jan. 30 to Feb. 1.
Advance voting is set for Feb. 25 through March 15 at two locations. The last day to register to vote for the special election is Feb. 19.
March 19 is the tentative date of a special election expected to be called to fill the unexpired term of former Bartow Schools board vice chairman and District 3 rep Angie Cornett, said Bartow County Elections Supervisor Joseph Kirk.
It's the first date, by law, a special election to fill a vacancy can be held.
Kirk said although nothing is official, he expects the Elections board "in the next week or two" to call a special election to fill Cornett's seat, and he's shooting for the March 19 date.
If the board approves, two-and-a-half days of qualifying would take place at the end of this month, Kirk said. The voter registration deadline would be Feb. 19.
With a March 19 special election date, advance voting would take place Feb. 25 through March 15, according to Kirk.
We asked Shultz if he expects opposition.
"I am not sure...it is so early and it will be non-partisan," he said in a direct messsage on Twitter. "I want to improve the climate [and] focus on what matters...we are better than this."
Tell us what you think in the comments, share your photos and videos, and don’t miss any of the local news you care about—subscribe to Cartersville Patch's newsletter, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
- Former Member Says He'll Run for Cornett's School Board Seat
- Should Cornett Face a Stiffer Charge? Was the Teen at Fault?
- Angie Cornett Resigns from the Bartow School Board
- What Are They Saying About Angie Cornett?
- Updated: Walmart Parking Lot Video of School Board Member Released
- School Board Member Arrested After Allegedly Striking Student with SUV
- Bartow BOE: We Deserve Better
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against School Board Member
- Parent to School Board: 'Embarrassed' by Member's Actions
- Sound Off: School Board Members Address Website, Accusations