More than 300 local kids accompanied by a drove of area cops are set Saturday to hit Cartersville's Walmart for Bartow County Shop with a Cop 2012.
Now in its fourth year, Shop with a Cop pairs less-privileged kids with local law enforcement officers for side-by-side holiday shopping. Spearheaded by Emerson Police Department Chief Stan Bradley several years ago, this year the shopping trip includes all of Bartow County. Last year, 88 children from the Emerson and Allatoona areas —South Central Middle School and Emerson Elementary students—participated, according to Bartow Schools Police Chief Dan Knowles and a The Daily Tribune News report.
More than 330 kids this year are set to participate in the yearly event, which has raised more than $50,000. "Terry Reid [of Cartersville] Kia and Hyundai followed through with his pledge he made months ago: if Shop With a Cop raised $25,000 he would match that," according to a Bartow County Sheriff's Office Facebook post.
Shop with a Cop starts Saturday morning about 8 a.m. with a catered breakfast at the Clarence Brown Conference Center, according to the press release and Knowles. A police-escorted motor coach will then take the kids on a ride through Cartersville, which will end at the shopping destination—Walmart.
Children are given funds, about $150 each, and are required to spend at least 75 percent, or $100, on clothing and shoes for themselves. They may spend the remaining 25 percent, about $50, as they wish, and often buy Christmas gifts for family members, according to volunteer officers.
Bartow County Shop with a Cop will become Shop with a Hero in 2013, according to Knowles. This week, he told the school board firefighters along with emergency medical and military personnel also would be included in next year's event .
If you're participating in Shop with a Cop, snap some photos and share them with us by clicking "Upload Photos and Videos" or use the camera icon on our mobile apps.
Don’t miss any of the local news you care about. Subscribe to Cartersville Patch's newsletters and breaking news alerts, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. Also check out our Android or iPhone apps for mobile news, business listings, weather forecasts and more.