The man behind a bomb threat that put Carmike locations in Cartersville and other parts of metro Atlanta on alert last Friday has been identified, the spokesman for the Columbus movie chain said in a one-sentence statement.
"The FBI has identified the person responsible for the bomb threats that occurred last Friday, August 17, 2012 involving Carmike Cinemas and believes he is no longer a threat," Carmike spokesman Terrell Mayton said Thursday.
The statement did not mention if the suspect had been arrested. And the FBI did not offer additional details beyond a short statement of its own.
"While the FBI advances its criminal investigation into the threats directed at various Carmike Cinemas," the FBI said in the statement, "it does remain a pending investigation and no further details regarding this matter are available at this time."
The movie theater's corporate office last Thursday "received a non-specific telephoned bomb threat at our corporate offices in Columbus, Georgia after hours," Mayton said in an Aug. 17 news release.
Last Friday, officers fanned out to Carmike locations in Canton, Atlanta, Conyers, Cumming, Hiram, Newnan and Snellville. Theaters in other states also were on alert.
All other locations affected by the threat were checked and deemed safe for use, Mayton said.