Updated: 3 Killed in 2 Tractor-Trailer Crash in Cartersville
The first big rig left the roadway and hit a concrete pillar holding a sign on Interstate 75 near Cass-White Road in Cartersville. The second truck hit a sign that fell.
- December 19, 2012
Updated 9 p.m.
GSP spokesman Gordy Wright said the three people killed were:
- George Benjamin White, 43, of Hiram, was driver of the northbound truck that crossed the median and struck the concrete support pillar.
- Jermaine Duriel Smith, 36, of Douglasville, was the passenger in White's truck.
- Hugh Bruce Duling III, 58, of Powder Springs, was the driver of the southbound tractor-trailer that struck the "support structure in the roadway."
A crash involving two tractor-trailers on Interstate 75 has claimed three lives and shut down the Cartersville roadway for hours this morning.
Following a series of events that began about 1:50 a.m. with a big rig running off the road, both trucks caught fire and the interstate in both directions was shut down near Cass-White Road, exit 296, Georgia State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright said.
Here's what happened, according to Wright: A northbound tractor-trailer left the roadway on the left shoulder, struck a guardrail, then hit a concrete pillar support for an overhead sign structure on the southbound side. The truck then rolled onto its side and caught fire. The sign fell and was hit by another tractor-trailer. That truck driver lost control and the vehicle left the roadway.
Two people in the first truck were killed and the driver of the second also was fatally injured. Their names have not been released.
Wright said the northbound lanes of I-75 reopened about 5:20 a.m., but southbound lanes remained closed. A detour is in place from mile marker 306 to mile marker 293 using Highway 140 and U.S. 411.
Tell us what you think in the comments, share your photos and videos, and don’t miss any of the local news you care about—subscribe to Cartersville Patch's newsletter, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
See More on Patch
- Woman Allegedly Leads Police on Chase Through Cartersville That Ends in Crash
- Stealing Trailer Easier When They Open the Gate
- Women Taking Swings 'Mutual Combat,' Man Snatches 30-Pack in Crazy Crime
- Local Attorney ID's Cartersville Man Suspected in Athens Hit-and-Run
- Hit-and-Run Suspect Asks to Surrender as Emily Bowman Fights for Life
Most Popular articles
- $740M Jackpots a New U.S. Record
- Updated: Cartersville Police Seek Arson Suspect; Family's Home Damaged Extensively
- Updated: Arson Suspect Found, Arrested in N.C.; Allegedly Slapped Victim Over Tall Grass a Week Ago
- Updated: Teen Charged in Alleged Sun Glo Car Wash Robbery, Killing
- Feds Bar Cartersville Man from Preparing Tax Returns for Others